Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Medical Preparations



The Labor & Delivery Expectations Review class we took last night was good.  I don't think Jeremy wanted to be there, but I was happy to have a lot of questions answered--especially about the hospital.  In the class, we reviewed the stages of labor and the signs of each.  The nurse who taught the class, Teresa, was very nice and knowledgeable.  She answered a ton of great questions for us--even ones specifically about our doctors and their habits.  
     

We took a tour of the obstetrics area, and it is very nice.   The labor/deliver and recovery rooms actually look almost identical to the ones at the hospital where Annah was born.  The one thing I realized last night about this hospital is that it is a lot smaller than where we were before.  Obviously, this is to be expected, since it is a much smaller city, but it hadn't really dawned on me.   But, I feel good about going there regardless.  
     

During the class, we talked a little about C-sections, and I could feel this wave of panic come on.  It scares me that:
- The entire delivery could happen without my having to do anything.
- My baby could be born while I am completely "out."
- Our baby could be born without Jeremy even in the room.
- It could be over an hour after the baby is born before I am conscious enough to even see it.


Obviously, I want the best for this baby, but there are so many things about a C-section that frighten me!!
     

I did ask the nurse about my doctor's being known for inducing, and she was not surprised by my asking.  I asked if she is normally willing to wait until 2 weeks after the due date before inducing if a patient wants to, and the nurse said I would really need to discuss it carefully with my doctor.  I really don't want to be induced unless it's totally necessary either.
     

I think I must be a crazy person to want a completely natural labor.  I was the only one in the class (again) who does.  I was so pleased with the way my labor and delivery went with Annah; why shouldn't I want to try it again?
     

Oh, one thing I was happy to find out is that if I don't have Pitocin or an epidural, I won't have to have the automatic blood pressure cuff on all the time.  That was very frustrating with my first delivery, so hopefully I can avoid it this time.

"~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment