Friday, April 24, 2020

Promdemic?

Tomorrow evening would have been Sylvia's junior prom. She is junior class president, and had already put in a lot of time planning the actual prom itself, and was looking forward to attending. (Her favorite part is dancing with her friends!) She now has some things to do tomorrow, with our online Bible study in the morning and a cello lesson at noon. And the weather is going to be yuck-o for dressing up fancy tomorrow. So, today she did her own hair and makeup and put on her prom dress anyway. She ate Oreos and watched part of the Broadway Newsies movie (which has been our go-to uplifting movie that we all LOVE watching on repeat during this pandemic!), and she let me take some pictures of her outside before it started to rain.



I think her hair turned out gorgeous!  I had seen a styling video of this months ago and thought it would look awesome on Sylvia, so I'd sent it to her on Pinterest.  I can't believe she did it totally by herself! So pretty!
















Sylvia chose 1 picture and wrote this on her Instagram: 

Dear Covid-19,
My God is greater. You’ve changed my plans for this year. Because of you, my future went from looking organized to complete chaos. My “big picture” is this: in the next year I may have to pick a college I don’t get to visit, apply with no test scores, and finish high school, all with the pressure that is put on 17 year olds to figure out what they want to do with their life and start executing it. And yeah, I cry, I’m stressed, and feel like I’m staring at a black hole, but the thing is my God WRITES my story. My future isn’t some picture of what things look like in the moment. He is in the action of orchestrating and creating and moving and living. He is not a “big picture” God. He is a now God, who doesn’t let current circumstance affect his path for me, he’s already made up his mind and is setting up the blessings. I don’t live in tomorrow, 6 months, or a year from now, but he does. And they will be completely different than what I see now when I get there, because his plan is perfect. My God is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Any darkness ahead of me won’t be dark when I get there. So back off Coronavirus: I can miss 100 proms, 1000 concerts, never visit a college and not know what I want to do or where I’m going, and still be joyful and blessed and love life because Jesus is with me in the present. And he’s growing me to handle my future, so I don’t need to fear at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment