Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve 2010


The snow has been coming down like crazy since this afternoon. Today we got about  7"to 8" more, on top of that much already from what we've had already this month.  It is cold and snowy, and still.  A very beautiful white Christmas.

We also have pretty icicles.


Since we are home for Christmas this year, we bought a live tree.  It's a 9-foot fraser fir and is very beautiful and fragrant.  We put it in the living room, with red and silver decorations on it.


I put the artificial tree up upstairs too.  The kids wanted colored lights on it, and put ALL of their decorations on it.  It is very full!  ;)


Our church has an 11:15 p.m. Christmas Eve service, and we enjoyed being part of it this year.  We got the kids to bed about 8:40-ish, and plucked them out of bed and into the car in their jammies and coats at 9:45 to make sure we got there by 10:30 (for me to be at rehearsal).  The roads were completely covered with snow, but not ice, and it was not windy.  Jeremy got us there safely.  

The service was lovely.  A small group of us sang, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" acapella.  Pastor Scott spoke about how Jesus is the Light of the world, and how we need to radiate that light for everyone to see.  I sang and played "I'll Tell the World That I'm a Christian" while brown paper bags with apples, oranges, nuts, and candy were given out.  Pastor Todd told how that tradition started during the Great Depression when churches wanted to make sure everyone in their congregations received something, and how we need to make sure we are giving our Savior to everyone.

As the congregation took communion, the vocal ensemble sang "Joy to the World" from the foyer.  Everyone received a candle and passed the light and filed outside.  When everyone was outside, we formed a huge circle and stood together singing "Silent Night" at midnight as the snow fell silently.  It was so beautiful to begin Christmas Day this way, with our precious church family, celebrating the birth of Jesus!


I’ll tell the world, that I’m a christian,
I’m not ashamed, His name to bear;
I’ll tell the world, that I’m a christian,
I’ll take Him with me anywhere.

I’ll tell the world, how Jesus saved me,
and how He gave me a life brand new;
And I know that if you trust Him,
that all He gave me, He’ll give to you.

I’ll tell the world, that He’s my Saviour,
No other one, could love me so;
My life, my all is His forever,
and where He leads me I will go.

For when He comes, and life is over,
For those who love Him there’s more to be;
Eyes have never seen the wonders,
That He’s preparing, for you and me

Oh, tell the world, that you’re a christian,
Be not ashamed, His name to bear;
Oh tell the world, that you’re a christian,
And take Him with you anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment