Our church has a wonderful tradition for kicking off the new school year--The Blessing of the Backpacks. All the senior saints gather behind the altars, all the children kneel at the altars, and many prayers are lifted for the children and their school year. It's a wonderful blessing for them, and a powerful way to remind them that God is always with them--even, and especially, at school!



And, oh yes, speaking of school and faith...I don't know how I forgot to write about this the other day...
On Thursday evening, Jeremy and I prayed with the girls about school before putting them to bed. We asked them what they were excited about and what they might be nervous about so that we could pray specifically for what was on their hearts. Sylvia mentioned she was worried about not being able to do math, and Annah was worried about homework. We talked with them about how God would help them, and prayed he would take away their worries and remind them they can do all things through Him because he gives them strength.
We also prayed for their teachers, and, since we don't know them, we prayed that maybe they would be teachers who also happen to love Jesus. Then, Friday morning while we were visiting the kindergarten, I noticed Sylvia's teacher was wearing a small silver cross necklace. I pointed it out to Sylvia, and she said, "Maybe she loves Jesus too...just like we prayed!" We didn't have an opportunity to ask, but she does definitely have a sweet spirit about her, and we are glad for Sylvia to be in her class.
I'm looking forward to meeting Annah's teacher at the Open House night in September. Annah already has good, happy things to say about her too. I am so thankful for our school and our teachers!! Thank you, Lord!
1 comment:
Taryn what a great post! That is so awesome! You are great parents to your kids guiding them in a Christ centered home! Go Girl! I hope they have a blessed school year!
Post a Comment