Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the frustration of our old home

To preface this post, I would like to say that I love our old home. Also, I love my husband and am very proud of all the work he has done on our house--completely by himself, with no prior experience in construction.

However, this summer we have gone through some great frustration with the process and progress (or rather, lack thereof!) of the many projects he has begun on our house. Jeremy has replaced all but 2 windows on the main floor and almost completed the installation of vinyl siding on the main level as well. We have been trying since spring to hire someone to complete the 2nd story work of replacing 7 windows, completing the siding, and installing soffets. We have contacted FOUR contractors, each of whom have expressed interest in doing the job and then never showed up or bothered to call to tell us they were not actually interested!! It has been very frustrating, to say the least. And now we are heading into Fall with no work done on the outside of the house in nearly a year.

Jeremy has purchased most of the supplies to complete the project, minus the soffets, and the one contractor who actually came TO the house and agreed to do the project said it would really only take a team a few days to complete the work on the outside.

Jeremy has been extra busy this spring/summer, and has had little time his own to work on anything--inside or outside the house, besides mowing and other lawncare. He has done some plaster/drywall repair here and there where he had a bit of time, but there is still so much to be done. It's overwhelming.

Thought I would share a couple photos of our den, which started this all with a "simple" window replacement 2 years ago and snowballed into replacing 18 windows, residing the entire house, ripping out walls, etcetera... I took these photos today. As you see, the den has become a storage room for much of the construction "junk," including 7 huge windows which should eventually go upstairs, a large pile of drywall which will eventually be the walls of the den, lots of tools... I try not to even look in there very often!

This is the view if I DO open the door:
2008August19Wednesday-(2)


Here are the huge windows and the wall of exposed lathboard...
2008August19Wednesday-(3)

I know someday it will be beautiful, and we can say we are proud of all the work we've done...someday.

1 comment:

Margee' said...

I know how you feel, we've had the same luck with people here in WA, make appts and they never show. I was without a shower for over 4 years.

Hang in there!

Post a Comment