This morning all of the kids were to bring their backpacks to church for The Blessing of the Backpacks. It was incredible!! First, Pastor Scott asked the "senior saints" of the congregation (those who qualify for an AARP discount [he teased], those whose kids are already grown, or just those who have an investment in the childrens' lives) to line the backs of the altars to pray for the children. Then, the kids, ages 3-13/preschool-junior high, lined the altars with their backpacks. As Pastor Scott prayed, the saints also layed hands on the children and prayed over them each by name! So many prayers were lifted for each child, asking for their schoolyear to be blessed and protected. (Of course, I was sitting at they keyboard crying and praying too!) It was such a cool experience--the entire congregation praying at once for the children!! So powerful!!

I know the girls were excited about taking their backpacks to church, but was worried they wouldn't understand why. Each child was given a laminated card with a picture of a beautiful angel standing guard over a sleeping child. On the back is
Psalm 91:11--"For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways." The girls are keeping theirs in their backpacks so that each time they see them they will be reminded that God is always with them and He has commanded His angels to keep watch over them all of the time.

(Sylvia is in the pink dress.) Thanks to Kim for taking these photos!
1 comment:
What a neat idea! I can totally understand you being emotional over this...I am in tears just reading it! I will have to bring it up next year for our church!
Post a Comment