Saturday, August 23, 2008

All-Church Picnic & Hog Roast, Oh Yeah!

The annual All-Church Picnic & Hog Roast was this afternoon! Jeremy was a co-coordinator for the entire event this year, so we have been very excited about it for a while now. Jeremy was up in the middle of the night to begin roasting the hog, which turned out sooo yummy--as usual.

And, someone decided to give him the bullhorn today.
He announced all the church staff and picnic coordinators, and he wasn't even ornery.
2008August23Saturday-(9)

The kids have been looking forward to taking a whack at the pinatas all week long. (There are 3 for separate age-groups.) But, the girls chickened out once they saw how big the kindergarten-4th grade group was.

Caeden, however, was first in line for the toddler/preschool group! He took 3 whacks by himself, then all the other kids took their 3 whacks and it was barely dented. So, on the 2nd round, some adults started helping some of the kids hit it a tiny bit harder. Here's Zac helping Caeden aim.
2008August23Saturday-(15)

By the 3rd round of turns, there weren't many kids left still interested in hitting it. But, Caeden was still revved up and rarin' to go! He tried to talk his "brother" Samuel into taking another turn, but he was not to be persuaded. So, before too many lost interest, our friend Vince decided to help his son Bradley take some real hits. We laughed and only slightly seriously worried that Bradley might have gotten a bit of whiplash. Then Caeden stepped up for his turn with Vince (Did I mention that Vince used to play baseball for some big California university? So, he has a pretty good arm.), and...here's the magic moment...
2008August23Saturday-(6)
Caeden was SO excited, he talked about it the rest of the evening, all the way home, all through his bath, and until I tucked him into bed. "Mommy, I got to be the one to break the pinata open! I saw one piece of candy com out, and then we hit it again, and then ALL the candy came out! It was like it was SNOWING!! And I crowded in to get the candy! And I got THE MOST!" over and over. He was pumped!

Another of the definite highlights of the picnic was my friend Jesika's "Porky Pig" cake! This girl has such a talent for cakes and working with fondant icing. How cute is this?! I love the apple in his mouth and that cute curly tail!
2008August23Saturday-(8)

Unfortunately, a storm came through and the lightning sent many of us running for our cars before 5:30 and the rest of the games. But, even short, it was a great picnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment