Saturday, January 27, 2018

All State Choir

Back at the beginning of December, we found out Annah was selected to participate in the All-State Chorus!  This was based on her audition for the district choir back in October, when she actually had laryngitis! We have all been so excited for her to have this opportunity!

Early Thursday morning, Annah was all packed for 3 days of rehearsal in Peoria, and ready to go! 

I took her to school and noticed her pre-arranged absence form on her desk.  I love that her Spanish teacher's assignment for her is to "Canta con todo tu corazon"--or "Sing with all of your heart!"

Annah helps her music directors any time they have a project they need some extra help with, and has the honor of using the "Assistant's Desk" in the music office this year.  

Mr. R drove Annah in the school van to Peoria, and she started rehearsal in a church across the street from the Civic Center Thursday morning.  I got this text from her later in the morning...


The choir rehearsed all day Thursday and Friday, while the conference for music educators was going on--IMEC.  The church coordinated catered lunches to be delivered for the students. Thursday evening, Annah attended a composition workshop/concert.

I saw on Facebook that Sylvia's cello teacher and one of her favorite former String Project teachers both won awards at the conference!

This morning, Sylvia and I headed over to Peoria to watch the concert!  I was very nervous about getting to where we needed to be in downtown Peoria.  I was a ridiculous mess for a while trying to navigate one-way streets and not hit any musicians, but we finally met Annah in the parking garage and went into the conference.
It was so great to see my tired, happy kid!  She got a big soft pretzel and went back to get ready for the concert.  Sylvia and I figured out where to order a CD and DVD of the concert and buy Annah an All-State t-shirt.  They even put the list of everyone in the choir on the back--after I stood in line 6 times to get the right list.  Haha.  
Sylvia and I visited booths for Elmhurst College, Olivet Nazarene University, and Wheaton College before the concert.

It was quite a sight to walk into the arena and see the All State Orchestra, Chorus, and Band all next to each other and ready to perform!

We were told that over 25,000 students auditioned for these groups this year!

We found seats in the balcony and waited excitedly for the concert to start!
We found Annah--near the top left corner, 3rd row from the top, 2nd person in, wearing a red and black robe (borrowed from our kind neighboring school, Gibson City.)
288 singers in the Chorus




Annah very much enjoyed the conductor, Lee Nelson.  She said he shared so many wonderful stories about his music journey and each song they learned.  




While the ladies performed their featured piece, the gentelmen held their music up for them so they  could have their hands available for clapping and snapping.


Sylvia said Annah had a few close-ups on the jumbo-tron, but I didn't catch them because I was looking through my camera.  Hopefully she will be on the DVD we ordered.

VIDEO: Just a few song clips of the amazing choir!

To end the concert, all 3 ensembles were conducted by 3 different conductors in a spectacular rendition of the State Song of Illinois!



Annah is so grateful to have had this honor and experience!  She loved every minute of it all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment