Saturday, December 13, 2014

String Project Festival

A couple months ago, the members of the Sinfonia ensemble of String Project were invited to be part of a side-by-side concert with alumni and current String Project teachers.  It meant several extra rehearsals, but Annah and Sylvia were part of the festival concert today and it was a great experience.  

They played some really challenging music and had the opportunity to accompany some high-level soloists.

I didn't record all of every piece, but here is O Holy Night.


 

Chorshat Ha'ekaliptus is a very beautiful traditional Jewish piece.



I was very excited to hear them play Vivaldi's Winter!  (I didn't catch all of the second movement, but it is worth listening all the way through to hear the third soloist.)


At the end of the concert was an audience sing-a-long of Christmas carols with a trumpet soloist.


When the girls first got the music for this concert, they were pretty freaked out.  Annah begged me not to make her do it, because the music was just too hard.  I told her the point wasn't for her to learn to play the music perfectly.  There would be college students and grad students who would know the music; the kids' opportunity would be to sit in with them and learn and just play whatever they could!  They hung in there, and, after the complete experience, the girls were both glad they were part of it!  I was too.  It was a very enjoyable concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment