Monday, July 7, 2014

Sleeping Bear Dune Climb

The forecast for tomorrow, our only full day at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, is rainy and cool.  So, as soon as we checked in at the Honor Motel, we took off to see and climb the dunes! 
We drove about 15 minutes, parked at the Dune Climb, and asked a stranger to take our picture at the base of the Dune Climb. (I know this always freaks my family out, but I'm always so glad to have the picture of all 5 of us.)

 Then we took off our shoes, sunk our toes into the warm sand, and started upward!

The kids took off quickly!

 I am incredibly out of shape, and had to take it a little bit at a time.  The rest of my family probably climbed the dune nearly twice, coming back down every so often to wait on me.

It was a long way up....this is only part way...



 After a ways up, we could see Glen Lake.


 It was only about 80 degrees or less, an absolutely perfect day to be on the dunes.


Gorgeous.








 Several pieces of driftwood had been used to spell out LOVE in a little valley in the sand.



We finally made it to the top!





(Google's "auto awesome" feature combined the above 3 photos into a cool panorama for me!)


 The kids at the top, with Glen Lake behind them.

Annah took a few photos of Jeremy and me.



We could see Lake Michigan from up here.




a selfie at the top of the dune

Photobombed!

Our lovely girls 

and adventurous boy

 We climbed Sleeping Bear Dunes!

It was so beautiful at the top, I wanted to stay for hours.  The kids explored a little.


 My handsome husband! 

  
 I love these people!!


While we were atop the dunes, some people came along and changed the driftwood.  At first we were worried they were erasing the LOVE, but then we saw that they wrote HOPE.

 We started to make our way down. 







 Caeden wanted to run up another dune...

  
 I stayed behind and took their picture.

Then they all decided to run down!

 Annah hopped.


 I wanted to stay at the top forever, but the rest ran down while I made my way as slowly as I could.

It was much more relaxing on the way down.

So beautiful.



 After running down to the bottom, Caeden started back up to meet me.



A few minutes of our fun...


What a great adventure we had enjoying this beautiful place God created!!



No comments:

Post a Comment