Monday, May 7, 2012

Weekend Whizzed By

Goodness, this weekend went by quickly!  For the first time in a while, we didn't have a calendar full of activities.  It was kinda nice!

Friday afternoon, Jeremy made a quick trip to his dad's butcher shop in Indiana to pick up 3/4 of a cow we split with local friends.  The freezer is now stocked and ready for grilling season, woohoo!  Jeremy was able to see his parents and grandma, and my parents and bro and sis-in-law and niece, his brother and a couple nephews, and even a few of his friends too!  He was back home before noon Saturday too!

The kids and I hung out at home Friday night and watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  

Saturday, the kids played in their rooms and outside a little bit.  (It was really humid and over 85 degrees outside and felt more like July!)  Annah's friend Michaela, who lives down the street, stopped by and was able to stay and play for a few hours.  


They baked a chocolate chip waffle in the Easy Bake Oven, and didn't mind that it took an hour for each of them to get one bite. 


For a few hours today, I worked on organizing our main closet at the top of the stairs.  I had 3 cardboard boxes of childhood through college memorabilia in there, which were taking up too much space.  I went through and threw out a garbage bag full of stuff, and consolidated the rest of it all into one plastic bin.  I also organized plastic bins for Easter, Autumn/Halloween, and extra Christmas things.  
And, I found some stuff that made me crack up laughing...
What do I do with all of these floppy disks?!?!

 A big stack of our college newspapers...

And, this pile of high school memories is the best: A show choir bow tie and dance shoes, shirt from the musical Pajama Game, an airbrushed (ooh, how cool!) t-shirt from our New Era show choir "Dream Tour," and the gem of all gems...A mix-tape of Everything I Do by Bryan Adams and I'll Be There by Escape Club!  I just can't part with these treasures!  ;)


Last night, church was wonderful as always.  The sermon was about tithing.  Pastor Todd pointed out how the idea of giving 10% (the literal meaning of the word 'tithe') is an Old Testament law, but in the New Testament, Jesus commanded that we give everything we have and follow Him.  The point is that tithing 10% is not the standard or the sign that shows maturity, it is just the start.  Although talking about giving may make us uncomfortable, there is perhaps no clearer or more measurable indicator of where our heart truly is.

Following the sermon, I was privileged to sing We Cry Out as we were able to take some time to focus on the Lord and cry out to Him and seek his will for our lives--regarding giving and whatever he has for us.


The kids made doggie biscuits for the "Day for the Dogs" event we are having next weekend.


When I went to pick them up, they were playing some kind of game/lesson in which they got squirted with a squirt gun if they gave a wrong answer.  I forgot to ask them what exactly they were learning, but they all looked like it was fun!  
I love Annah's face here...




Following our worship service, we had a Launch Team meeting.  Our systems director, Angela, talked with us about making sure we were fitting into the teams we feel God calling us to, and finding our place in the Body of Christ (whether we are a "big toe, a capillary, or some other part") for the launch team.  Then Pastor Todd shared about how he is hearing from many of us that we need to come together in prayer during this process--corporately, not just individually.  He interviewed Celia, our director of prayer, and she talked about how she came from barely even wanting to believe God existed to being filled with an urgency for prayer.  Exciting things are happening in our church; glory to God!!!

The kids were good during the meeting.  Caeden and Sammy played on the iPad and Annah watched them.  Sylvia sat on Jeremy's lap for a while, then when she switched to her own seat she soon had two sweeties who wanted to snuggle up on her lap!  It is really cute how Leyanna and Khaliya are drawn to her.  

 "And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, even God.
20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother.
21 And he said, All these things have I observed from my youth up.
22 And when Jesus heard it, he said unto him, One thing thou lackest yet: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
23 But when he heard these things, he became exceeding sorrowful; for he was very rich.
24 And Jesus seeing him said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
25 For it is easier for a camel to enter in through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they that heard it said, Then who can be saved?
27 But he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
28 And Peter said, Lo, we have left our own, and followed thee.
29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or wife, or brethren, or parents, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake."

Luke 18:18-29 
(ASV)

No comments:

Post a Comment