We are having THE most perfectly gorgeous day today! It's in the mid-70's, just a light breeze, sunny and clear...ahhh!! It makes me so thankful for the Lord's creation on days like this!
So, the kids and I took a little walk this morning. We went to the post office and then the bank. Our neighbor 2 doors to the south, Carol, was the teller that helped me, and she asked if I liked rhubarb. I got so excited when she asked, because, #1: I do love rhubarb, and #2: I knew why she was asking! She has a patch of rhubarb at the very edge of her yard, and I always thought it was her neighbor's. I've walked past it every spring for almost 7 years and wished I could have some, but don't know that other neighbor very well--at least not well enough to feel comfortable asking if I can pick stuff out of her yard. So, when Carol asked, I said, "That's YOUR rhubarb!?!" Anyway, Carol offered us rhubarb and said I could pick as much as I want any time I want!
I picked some right then when we were walking back home!
The kiddos picked some too, and thought the big ones with huge leaves made nice umbrellas!

Or hiding places, or fans, or various other things!

We came inside and whipped up a batch of Grandma's yummmmy Rhubarb Goodie recipe!!

Rhubarb Goodie
Crust:
1 c. flour
5 T. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter
Mix and press into 7 1/2 x 11 pan. (I use my 8x8.)
Topping:
2 beaten eggs
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 t. salt
Mix and spoon over crust. Bake for 45 min. at 350 degrees. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

Oooh, it's so yummy! I ate a piece while it was still hot! Sylvia was a little hesitant, and said she'd just try one tiny bite. Then she said she wanted a "whole, big piece!" and gobbled it all up!
So, the kids and I took a little walk this morning. We went to the post office and then the bank. Our neighbor 2 doors to the south, Carol, was the teller that helped me, and she asked if I liked rhubarb. I got so excited when she asked, because, #1: I do love rhubarb, and #2: I knew why she was asking! She has a patch of rhubarb at the very edge of her yard, and I always thought it was her neighbor's. I've walked past it every spring for almost 7 years and wished I could have some, but don't know that other neighbor very well--at least not well enough to feel comfortable asking if I can pick stuff out of her yard. So, when Carol asked, I said, "That's YOUR rhubarb!?!" Anyway, Carol offered us rhubarb and said I could pick as much as I want any time I want!
I picked some right then when we were walking back home!
The kiddos picked some too, and thought the big ones with huge leaves made nice umbrellas!

Or hiding places, or fans, or various other things!

We came inside and whipped up a batch of Grandma's yummmmy Rhubarb Goodie recipe!!

Rhubarb Goodie
Crust:
1 c. flour
5 T. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter
Mix and press into 7 1/2 x 11 pan. (I use my 8x8.)
Topping:
2 beaten eggs
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 t. salt
Mix and spoon over crust. Bake for 45 min. at 350 degrees. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

Oooh, it's so yummy! I ate a piece while it was still hot! Sylvia was a little hesitant, and said she'd just try one tiny bite. Then she said she wanted a "whole, big piece!" and gobbled it all up!
No comments:
Post a Comment