Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Flooding

When we went to bed last night around 10:15, our basement was dry and it was not raining.  When Jeremy woke up around 4AM today, there was about 2 feet of water in our basement.  He hooked up the trash pump and had pumped out more than a foot of it by the time I came downstairs at 4:45.  Sometime between 5AM and 6AM, we received notifications from the school saying that Colfax roads were impassible and the school sewer system wouldn't be able to handle people in the building today; therefore, school was canceled.

Jeremy stayed until the water had receded, and I took over "pump duty," as water was still coming up through the floor of the basement.  I taught my usual Wednesday morning lessons, and Annah monitored the pumps during that time, and while I had to go into town later.

Here are a couple photos taken in Colfax this morning.  All buses usually pass through the pictured area, where there is a road you cannot see...


Round about noon, we received more messages from the school saying that the high school concert that was scheduled for tonight would be moved to tomorrow night just before the 4th-8th grade concert.

Tonight, when Jeremy came home, he tried to relight the pilot lights on our furnace and hot water heater...to no avail.  They have both lasted through the almost 18 years we've lived here (including many floods), but they both decided to choose this time to die.  

No comments:

Post a Comment