Thursday, May 23, 2019

All the nostalgia and feelings

Several months ago my friend Missy asked if I would be willing to be a a soloist in a concert-style tribute musical theater show at our high school.  I've gone back and forth over the past several months since I agreed to participate...wondering why I said yes, wishing I hadn't, feeling obligated to stay in the show as others dropped out each week, worrying about learning and memorizing the 5 songs that were chosen for me (none of which I knew beforehand!), and fighting SO MANY insecurities!  

This afternoon, I arrived here.  Churubusco High School. 
I had such a strange feeling of excitement and nervousness as I walked toward the building.

I was told to enter through Door #6 for rehearsal, and I walked into the hallway between the band room and the stage.  I hadn't been in this part of the building in 20 years! 
The feelings were overwhelmingly nostalgic!!!  
It even smells the same! 

Missy was there to rehearse with me, and also Amy J to continue encouraging.  They put together this entire show, kept contact with all of us, and made it all happen.  They are incredible ladies, and it was seriously an honor to even be thought of to be part of this show.  

I rehearsed my 5 numbers, solidified where I would be standing when singing them, and worked out a couple of glitches.  Amy was answering phone calls from various performers who were trying to get here from out of town. Both of them came up on stage to give me hugs and reassure me that apparently people did want to hear me sing. I left feeling more excited than nervous, thanks to their affirmation and encouragement.

When I got back to Mom and Dad's, I saw this article in the local newspaper.  THIS is why we are doing the show:




No comments:

Post a Comment