Over the past couple years, the fall play director at RHS had been training up a new teacher to direct because he needed to step out of the job. Well, the new teacher moved to Florida last spring, so the school posted the job listing on their website.
A friend told me last spring I should consider applying because she thought I would be good at that. I mentioned that to the family, but didn't really consider it much. I figured the school needed to hire several new teachers for the school year and one of them would surely be able to direct a play. Annah pestered me about it all summer, because she and her friends were afraid they wouldn't get to do a play at all. I explained to her that it would not be my fault if that was the case, and continued assuming the school would hire a teacher to fill the role.
Fast forward to 2 days before school, when we were there for the kids to set up their lockers...Mr. W, the former play director, casually mentioned to me that the position was still open if I was interested. That seemed odd, and I laughed and offered some excuses.
Then I came home and really thought about it and prayed about it. And I wanted the kids to have the opportunity. And I knew there was a great group of hardworking kids who love the whole process--not just the acting. And I knew there was a student who could be a great stage manager and cover the stuff I don't know a lot about. And I knew I could teach them something about acting. And I knew I could do it if I wanted to. And God said to do it.
So...I spent a couple days completing the application! I haven't applied for a job in over 18 years! I contacted former bosses and references, and submitted the application with a lump in my throat. 15 minutes later, I received an email from the principal saying, "You're hired!" No interview, no questions. I suddenly felt like throwing up.
I received a hiring packet, had a physical, got a background check and fingerprints done. And now I am reading plays! Dozens and dozens of plays.
Usually, auditions would take place next week, but this year homecoming is next week. Since I haven't decided on a play yet, and I don't want to give the students another thing to worry about during a crazy busy homecoming week, we will wait until the following week to do auditions and start rehearsals. I think I will feel better about things once I choose a play!
No comments:
Post a Comment