Tonight was finally/already show night #1! It usually feels both like 1) We're not ready yet! and 2) It's about time; we've been working on this for ages! I'm almost always in the first camp--I don't feel ready. But, it's exciting, no matter what!
Annah stayed after school every evening this week and did homework, hair and makeup, and had supper before each rehearsal. The cafeteria workers provided great meals at a small cost for all those cast, crew, directors who were around each evening--such a blessing.
Mom and Dad arrived mid-afternoon today, and I made Italian beef sandwiches for us this evening before I left for the school. When I arrived, I found most everyone was about ready.
Addie was totally ready and waiting in costume, and I found her checking out the programs. She said she had a lot of emotional things to tell me, about how she was so glad I'd chosen Somewhere That's Green for her to sing in voice lessons, because it led her to really love Little Shop of Horrors and beg Mr. Marchese incessantly to do the show for her senior year. I had totally forgotten that I'd heard the song on a streaming radio app and loved it and chose it for her! I'm so glad she has had fun playing the part of Audrey!
My Annah was all ready to go too! This really is her favorite week of the year! And, even though I haven't been able to watch most of what she does on stage, it has been really fun to share this experience with her from behind the piano! Musical theatre is one of my favorite things in the world, and it is great to share that love with my girl!
Hair and makeup is done in the choir room, where the cast then stays until showtime.
Vocal warmups...
Dangerous tongue twisters...
Passing the excitement along just before showtime...
There was a pretty good crowd!
Our Pit Band!
L to R:
Mr. Marchese: director, Adam Born: electric guitar, Dr. Marchese: bass guitar, Deanna Marchese: auxiliary percussion; Mr. R: drumset, and me: piano
It was such a privilege to get to play with these talented musicians! They made a great challenge really fun for me!
The best pictures of the performance are by Addie's Nana, Michele.
Skid Row
Grow for Me
"The guy sure looks like plant food to me..."
"You dizzy cow!"
Call Back in the Morning
The beautiful Street Urchins
The Death of Audrey
"The plants proceeded to grow and grow
and begin what they came here to do
which was essentially to
eat Cleveleand
and Des Moines
and Peoria
and New York
and this theater...
Our fam with our star, "Chiffon"
Annah with her Gram and Krampa! Thank you for coming all the way to see the show!
Many people went on stage for a close look at the plant puppets after the show. They really were the stars of the show. SO much work went into designing, creating, and operating them!
It was a wonderful opening night!
No comments:
Post a Comment