Friday, December 11, 2015

String Project Winter Concert

Sylvia played her cello in the Illinois String Project winter concert tonight. She earned 2nd chair, 1st cello part in Sinfonia this semester. 

I didn't take any photos during the concert tonight, but did record all the pieces Sinfonia played. They had a couple very challenging pieces!  This first piece changed meter every measure!


This piece by a Russian composer was very difficult, and Sylvia says they spent a majority of every rehearsal working on it.  She really likes this new student teacher/conductor, who is from Israel and has her undergraduate degree in opera.  I believe she is getting her masters in conducting, and Sylvia really enjoys how she teaches Sinfonia about the meaning behind the music and how to play expressively.


I really enjoyed this performance of Coldplay's Viva la Vida, but it wasn't Sylvia's favorite.  She feels orchestras should play orchestra music.  I thought they did a great job though.


No comments:

Post a Comment