Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hanging around in town

Sylvia (in the back on the left) at String Camp today.

Caeden and Annah and I had 4 hours to spend in town today while Sylvia was at camp.  We started that out with my getting a speeding ticket on College Avenue.  It was so foolish of me, because on our way down College we talked about how there were 2 unmarked cop cars pulling people over yesterday and today.  Then, I went 44 in a 30mph zone on my way back up the same street.  Ugh.  Apparently I didn't need that $120. 

We decided to finally check out the Hy-Vee store that opened a few months ago.  Everyone has been raving about it, but each time we've driven by it's been packed and I didn't want to mess with the crowds.  It was pretty empty this morning, so we went into get a few things we needed.  It's very nice, and I'm sure like any other store, if you sign up for their rewards/coupon program you could save a lot.  I would like to try their Chinese carry-out and their Market Grille, but other than that, it seemed to me like just another nice grocery store.  Although, now I'm remembering that you can shop online and then just pick it up as long as you spend a certain amount.  That might be worth trying out sometime.

After Hy-Vee, we went to Barnes and Noble to sit and read for a while.  Caeden found a friend there.

These guys were glad to sit and read!

Annah found a book by the author of the Disney Kingdom Keepers series she loved so much, so she was thrilled.  Caeden read some Big Nate, and some LEGO Star Wars.

Annah had a violin lesson at 11.  There is a Little Free Library across the road from Sharon's house.  Caeden left a book and took a book last week and made another trade this week too.  It's a pretty neat little thing.  I would like to put one in our yard!

After we picked Sylvia up from camp, we went to SF Park. The plan was to swim, but we needed to eat lunch first.  The parking lot was so full (just 15 minutes after the park opened!) that we had to park all the way out in the next-to-last row. We decided just to eat on some bleachers near the tennis courts, rather than walk all the way to the beach house to eat and then back to get our swimming stuff.  It was a nice spot.  


After we ate, we realized that Caeden didn't pack his swim trunks.  So, since we couldn't swim, we went back to Barnes and Noble.  I am reading this very interesting book:


This evening was the beginning of the Personal Spiritual Focus Retreat at church.  I am excited to be going through it.  In the past, it has been held off-site and more out-in-nature, but I haven't been able to get away for any of those.  

This time, there are more than 15 of us going through it at church.  It will be tonight, tomorrow, evening, 10am-6pm on Saturday, and noon-3 on Sunday.  

This evening, we  each started building a timeline of significant events and people in our lives.  I'm not sure I did very well at remembering.

It will be a stretch and a lot of thinking this weekend, but I'm looking forward to the rest.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Hyvee Chinese takeout is the best! We used to get it in Ottawa all the time.

Post a Comment