Monday, July 22, 2002

Glucose Blahs

I did the 3 hour glucose test on Thursday. Boy, that was NOT a fun time... I had to "fast" for 12 hours before (overnight, since I went in the morning). They do a urine test first, and then draw blood. Then it's the drink. This time I didn't have the orange one; it was a brown nasty cola-ish tasting thing. Much worse than the orange.

During the first hour of waiting after the drink, I started feeling extremely queasy. A sugary drink in an empty pregnant stomach is not a good combo! I seriously thought I was going to "toss my cookies" in the waiting room. When the nurse drew my blood after that first hour of waiting, I asked him if I could drink some water, and he told me only enough to wet my mouth. Thankfully, at least that helped. I started feeling a little less queasy during the second hour, and by the end of the third, I just felt hungry.

I decided I would just go right home and get something to eat there. But, about 10 minutes from home, I started feeling horrible. I got extremely hot (in my cold air conditioned car); I started shaking, and felt all the energy completely drained from my body. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive my car the rest of the way home. I just kept praying that I would make it the rest of the way.

When I got home, I could barely open the car door or get out and into the house. I grabbed a cup of juice and downed it and found something to eat before I passed out. I was useless the rest of the afternoon. I'm guessing that the results of the test aren't going to come back too favorably.

No comments:

Post a Comment