Monday, April 13, 2015

Kissing Genes

 Caeden has been asking more and more questions about "the facts of life," and it was time to "do some 'splainin.'  Saturday, at the track meet, he randomly asked me, "Mommy, how did I get to look like Daddy? Did some of his genes go into you when you guys kissed and that's what made me look like him?"  Uh, something sort of like that, buddy.  (Clearly, time to have a talk!)

I had planned to get Jeremy and Caeden signed up for the Your Body, God's Plan workshops this spring, but it didn't happen. I recently bought the How You Are Changing book, and since we had a couple hours together while the girls were at rehearsal tonight, I went through it with him.  When he asked what we were going to do, I told him I had a book that would answer some of his recent questions.  He got nervous.  We drove to the park, and rolled the windows down since it was a beautiful evening.

I must say that the How You Are Changing books are really wonderful resources, and I highly recommend them to Christian parents who want a biblical and biological way to begin the explanation of puberty and sex to their children.  (We have only used the books for ages 10-12 so far, but I know they do have books for younger and older age groups as well.)  The books have helpful drawings and Q&A sections, but what I love most are the scriptures and prayers at the end of each section.  It really helps take minds off the awkwardness and remind both parent and child that these things are not "dirty," but part of God's amazing design--when we follow his plan for them.  

Caeden was very surprised at some things, but overall, I think he was glad to understand some things better.  At one point, when Psalm 139 was referenced in the book, I mentioned that it is one of my very, very passages of scripture because it talks about how God designed and knew us before we were even born, and what a miracle it is when a baby grows inside a mommy.  I had my box of favorite scripture cards in the car, as I always do, and he picked them up and read Psalm 139 out loud.  

We didn't quite finish the book before having to pick up the girls, but when we stopped reading, he said, "Wow, this is a lot to take in.  I could really use a donut."  So, after we picked up the girls, we went to Casey's to get donuts.  The kids ate some while I pumped gas.

After we got home, Caeden and I finished the last little section of the book.  He had questions throughout the evening, but perhaps the funniest was, "Is there ANY way besides "THAT" that my [someday] wife can get pregnant?"  When I said that maybe surgically, but... He said, "That is definitely what we are going to do!  For now, I'm okay with that response from my 10-year-old boy.  Love him.

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—"
- Psalm 139:13-18

No comments:

Post a Comment