Over the last couple/few weeks, the Lord has really been speaking loudly to my heart about living intentionally, and making changes in my life in obedience to Him. It has been tough emotionally, but He has shown me in many ways exactly what I needed to do. So this evening, I took a difficult step and let many of my piano and voice students go. I wrote to their parents to try to explain...
Dear wonderful parents of my wonderful students,
I love my students. I love teaching and seeing them learn music and grow their love for it. I love getting to know each darling one of them and being part of their growing up years. I consider it a tremendous honor and blessing that I am entrusted with one-on-one time with such precious people every week. Thank you ever so much for that great privilege!
You may not expect what I'm writing to tell you, as it was fairly unexpected for me as well. I hope you will understand that writing this both breaks and frees my heart...
Most of you know that, for me, teaching music is a ministry God called me into. I don't do it for the income or just to have a job; I do it because I care about helping others discover the richness music brings to life. What you may not know is that the Lord is now calling me to stop teaching in the afternoons/evenings during this season of my life. And as much as it hurts me to let my students go, I know I need to obey the Lord. Change is often difficult, and even painful, but the blessings of obedience are great.
There are several reasons behind this decision, but the main one is that my family needs more of me. My children are at the ages where I really only get to be with them for about 5 waking hours a day--in the afternoon/evening. And, much like in your families, many of those afternoons and evenings are filled with their own lessons and activities that I don't want to miss.
My husband also recently took on a new position at work which requires him to work many more evening and weekend hours. In the past, Jeremy has been able to get the kids to and from activities and spend time with them while I was teaching, but I now need to be more available during those times.
I am torn because my love for my students is deep, but my own children need to be my highest priority. As you know, the time we have our children in our care and growing up in our homes is so very short. I only have 9 more years before all of mine will be adults. I want to do everything I can to teach, nurture, and care for my children in the next 9 years! I want to be available to them, eat supper with them, drive them all over the state, let them cry on me after a rough day at school, be there cheering them on at sporting events and performances, and have long talks about friendships and relationships and tough decisions. These things most commonly happen in the precious afternoon and evening hours. I want my children to [one day] be able to say that I was present and available to them and that it made a difference in their lives.
I know this probably seems sudden and out of the blue (Some students have just started new books, and some have only been with me a few months!), but I have become progressively burdened about this over time. It has just become clear to me through much prayer and many tears over the past couple weeks that this change needs to happen immediately. I'm so sorry.
Thank you for understanding. I do realize the frustration this could cause you because your child who loves music is suddenly without this outlet. I hope each of them will continue to study music privately and learn to love it more and more. It is good to learn from multiple teachers, and I am glad to help suggest teachers. I will continue to be involved with Ridgeview's music department, and am also hoping to hold some group classes on various musical techniques or topics from time to time. So, I will still be involved in teaching music.
I would be glad for the opportunity to talk with each of you and/or meet with your child regarding this, so please feel free call me at your convenience this week. Some of you have paid me in advance, and I will refund you for those lessons right away. Also, some are borrowing books from me, which I would like to have returned. If your child would like to continue in them with another teacher, we can arrange for that, of course.
I want you all to know that I appreciate you and your families and consider you part of mine. You have been so patient with me, and so kind and wonderful to me and my family. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all so very much.
Taryn
"Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord." - Ephesians 5:19
All the parents have responded so positively, and all have said that even though they are sad, they understand completely. I am sad too, but I do feel peace knowing that I am doing this for the benefit of my family and in obedience to the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment