Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spelling Spat

We are trying 4:00 violin lessons this Fall. The kids get off the bus at home at about 3:33, so I have to pick them up at the stop with their instruments and take the fastest route to town to get to lessons about 2 minutes late, whew! Usually I bring a snack for each of them, but today was stopped by a neighbor as I was loading the car and didn't have time to go back to get them snacks. 

When we got to the music shop, it was time for Caeden to practice his spelling words for the test tomorrow.  Spelling is easy for him, and he knows the words.  But we always make the kids study whether they feel they need to or not so they will develop good study habits for the future. Today, Caed tried to tell me he was so tired and hungry that he "had no brain power" to practice his spelling words. He whined, whimpered, complained, protested, and generally acted ridiculous during the 20 words... 

Here's the proof:

Here's the kicker... I discovered as I went to check his words over... 
He spelled every single word wrong ON PURPOSE!!!!  

He and I went for a walk out to the car, where we both sat in the backseat and I explained that he would now write each word 10 times tonight and until each of them were spelled correctly and neatly.  

I won't analyze this situation any more here, but this boy is definitely the reason I am re-reading Journey of  Strong-Willed Child these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment