Saturday, September 21, 2013

Baking apple pie

When the 3 crates of apples came home with us, Sylvia immediately asked if she could make apple pie. My immediate reaction was that she'd be on her own because I am deathly afraid of making pie crust.  She has enjoyed making pies with Gram, so she was confident.  She invited her friend Eve to come down the street and bake apple pies.  They were excited about it all week long.  I told them they were on their own after I got the peeling and slicing done.  (I must mention that Jeremy also ran to town twice for ingredients, instruments and necessities for baking the pies, and also helped peel apples.)

The girls mixed up their first crust in the mixer with the bread hook.  I let them do it on their own, but it wasn't usable.  They let the mixer run as they mixed in ingredients, and I don't think their cold water was cold enough.  We were able to keep half of their dough for later though.  I mixed up a couple batches of double crust dough for them, divided it, and refrigerated it for 30 minutes to make it easier to work with.  Then, we decided they'd try rolling it out between wax paper.  They were good to go on their own from that point on...


They weren't taking the pre-made crust or even crumb-top easy-way out!  They were determined to bake two lattice top pies from the Betty Crocker cookbook!  I will admit, I was extremely frustrated by the process of making pie crust, but once I left these two 10-year-olds to their process, they were good to go!

I think they did a great job!!

They used their leftover dough to make an apple pastry.

And we all enjoyed some with ice cream!

The girls played Mancala, Clue Mysteries, and window markers while waiting for one of the pies to cool enough for Sylvia to carry it to Eve's house (Eve rode her bike.) so she could share it with her family.  Our family will enjoy the other for lunch tomorrow.  

What sweet, determined, resourceful girls!  It was a great way to spend a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment