Sunday, July 27, 2008

Giving, Conviction, and Scrapping

I am up too late, so who knows how coherent this will be, but I wanted to blog anyway. A couple stories to share first, about the girls...

Yesterday, Sylvia went to a little boy friend's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's. (She was the only girl, but didn't mind at all. They were all boys from her preschool class.) Anyway, she chose a gift for her friend, which Daddy was kind enough to pay for. She had for herself a $25 gift card to Toy 'R' Us, and wanted to buy a big stuffed bunny. When a bunny couldn't be found, she chose 2 doll babies she could carry in back-pack fashion, some Pull 'n' Peel Twizzlers, and maybe something else i can't remember. She was so excited when Daddy brought her home to show me. Her face was just glowing and she was itching to open her dollies and play with them! She opened one and was just beginning to play with it as Annah watched, when I started listening more intently to their conversation... Sylvia chose to give one of the babies to Annah, without Annah even suggesting she would like it (at least not with more than her eyes), because she had one dolly and "didn't need" two. I think Annah was practically speechless. I was crying. Jeremy was in total awe. It was beautiful. We were so happy to see Sylvia so giving and unselfish toward her sister.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally unrelated story (as far as I can tell)... Tonight about 10 minutes after we tucked the kids in bed, Sylvia came out into the hallway and told us that Annah was crying in her bed...pretty unusual for Annah, at least since she was fine when we tucked her in. So, I went up stairs, and there she was in tears. When I asked her what was the matter, she said, "I haven't done anything nice for my family!" After a little discussion, it came out that she was feeling bad that she doesn't do nice things or give things to anyone. (Totally untrue, I must say. I quickly listed off several nice things she's done for people in just the past few days--including using her KidMo "money" at church this morning to "buy" a pair of flip-flops for ME!) I don't know why she was feeling so guilty, but I think God was really convicting her heart! I talked and prayed with her to help her calm down, but remember her feeling of conviction and to act on it tomorrow and in the following days. I pray that God will bless her with a servant's heart, and that she will continue to be a blessing to others throughout her life!

That is something I really struggle with and am convicted of regularly--being a servant and encourager to others. I SO want to!!! I am still learning... I often sing this song as a prayer...I learned it as a child, and have loved it most of my life...

Make Me A Servant

Make me a servant, humble and meek.
Lord, let me lift up those who are week.
And, may the prayer of my heart always be
Make me a servant. Make me a servant. Make me a servant today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've been scrapbooking all weekend for the Sketchfest at Creative Scrappers. I got a lot of pages done and am still working on some more. It's been very inspiring. Here are a few...(click to see them larger)


Free
by TarynLeah
Scrapbook.com


If you like, you can see more in my gallery at Scrapbook.com.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, work on the house is not really going... We are in search of a contractor to finish the windows and siding and do soffetts on the upper level, but the ones we've contacted so far have not followed through. It's very frustrating and stressful. We would appreciate any prayers if you'd like to join us in praying to find that reliable, available, quality contractor!!

3 comments:

Nurse Niki said...

Taryn,
Once again, reading your blog has brought me to tears! What amazing children you have! I says a lot about you as a mother!
Oh, and you scrap pages are beautiful!

Rachael said...

I remember singing that song all the time whenI was little too! Was it on the Psalty albums? I was competley addicted to them...

Your children are amazing. Not only do they have wonderful parents and adults in their lives who guide them and are fantastic examples, but these same people pray for them which is equally, if not more, important. hug.

Michelle said...

Taryn that is so precious about your daughters. God can work even the smallest heart!

Your children are blessed to have a mother who walks with the Lord! I am sure that God is going to use them in an amazing way!

Post a Comment