Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Can't Start the Car!

After Sylvia's gymnastics class this evening, the kids and I headed carefully out to the car in the middle of a thunderstorm. It was already after 6:30 and we were all hungry, so we buckled in quickly and set to head home. But I couldn't get the key to go into the ignition of the car!! I checked to make sure I'd put the car in Park before shutting it off, and I had. I checked and tried a few other things I thought might help, and none did. I called Jeremy, and he recommended the things I'd already tried and offered to bring the other set of keys to see if they'd somehow work.

I decided to call my cousin Scott, who is an engineer for GM. I wasn't too comforted when he said, "That's weird." and admitted he'd never heard of that happening before! He had me try pulling the steering wheel as far to one side as I could (even though it was locked) and holding it there while trying to fit the key in. It didn't work pulling it to the left, but when I held it to the right and kept trying to jam the key in, it finally went in! Then the car started right up! Whew! I was very appreciative of Scott's help! Thanks Scott! A strange thing to happen, but now we can laugh about it...


No comments:

Post a Comment