Friday, July 18, 2008

Empty Me

I heard this song on the radio the other day that was new to me, and I was caught and drawn into worship right there in my car by the lyrics. Turns out, it was Chris Sligh singing. As in, Chris Sligh from American Idol a couple-few seasons back. Anyhow, I've just been singing and praying these lyrics over and over in my head this week, and thought I'd share.

Empty Me

I’ve had just enough
Of the spotlight when it burns bright
To see how it gets in the blood
I’ve tasted my share
Of the sweet life and the wild ride
And found a little is not quite enough

I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds onto
Lord, empty me of me so I can be filled with you

I’ve seen just enough
Of the quick buys of the best lies
To know how prodigals can be drawn away

‘Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you, compared to you
‘Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to you, so I surrender all

You can hear the song here.

1 comment:

Travis & Erin McEowen said...

Shawndra sang it at church yesterday. Great song! I had never heard it.

Post a Comment