Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Garden Update

Our [first] gardening adventure of 2008 has been...well...I wouldn't say a real success. But things are growing!
Since I have no tiller and everything was planted by hand, the weeds have been impossible to keep up with in such a large space. But, we've managed to keep them away from the sunflowers (which are very tall now!), the tomatoes (of which there are many green ones, and the cherry tomatoes are beginning to ripen), and all the squash plants.

We have cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash ready. Spaghetti squash, and a couple of watermelons are growing, and pumpkins are blooming.

Sylvia and Caeden were super excited to help pick these things from the garden today!
2008July22Tuesday-(9)


2008July22Tuesday-(10)


Unsuccessful things: We have tons of expanding bunny families in our neighborhood, and the bunnies ate ALL the green bean plants as soon as they came up. (They also ate most of the peas, but after I put mothballs down, a few miraculously continued to grow. I picked a handful today.)
The lettuce, spinach, and cilantro was ready precisely while we were gone for 10 days and went to seed before we got back to get any of it. And, I never did get around to buying pepper plants.

So, we have at least learned a bit, and been happy to see some things grow that we can enjoy.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You seem to be much better at gardening than me! I didnt have any luck!

Kate said...

Gosh the gardening was a big success they look yummy. I've been busy growing flowers in mine,don't think I'd manage veg.
LOVE the Tiger lily crown in the post below, some fab pics there to scrap. I can remember when I was young doing it with daisies and we used to stay making it so long and wear it around our necks as necklaces.

Post a Comment