Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve was so lovely. No snow, as we had hoped, and actually expected, with 10+ inches falling in the area last weekend. But, most importantly, we got to spend it with family.

We actually arrived at my parents' on Friday evening. Saturday we had lunch with the McEowen family. Grandma even had gifts for the kids. The kids loved them, but we had a bit of a problem getting Annah to thank Great Grandma. She refused to give her a hug, and even lied to us, saying that she had. We were so upset and took her gift away for the day. Jeremy talked to her in the car about treasuring the the time we have with Great Grandma because she is so old (89), and showing love to her. And, upon having a heart-to-heart with her after getting back to the house, she admitted that she was afraid because she doesn't really know Great Grandma that well. (I also think she is afraid because nursing homes and elderly people can just seems scary to little kids. I know I used to be afraid.) When I reminded Annah of the times when she played at Great Grandma's house with her teddy bears and baskets, and the times she's taken her violin to play for her, and other times she's shared with her, Annah realized. She felt so horrible and understood that the time with Grandma shouldn't be uncomfortable, but cherished. We visited with her again this morning.

Also on Saturday, Travis & Erin moved into their "new" home! Jeremy and Scott helped with the heavy hauling so they could make it their first night there.

Sunday morning we were blessed by the acting of Travis & Erin (and company!) in their church musical. Caeden made it through about half the performance before we couldn't contain him in the pew any longer, and Jeremy got to take him out to the foyer.
Sunday evening we exchanged gifts with Travis & Erin since they are leaving early in the morning to spend Christmas Day with her parents. They are always so thoughtful and generous with their gifting. They gave me new gym shoes and The Sound of Music DVD! Caeden received a Darda race track, Annah some great new clothes, and Sylvia the Barbie Island Princess and Prince from them! Mom gave Jeremy some Gatorade as a joke, because he has gotten the flu at their house a few times (including this past Thanksgiving!) and I always have to go on a Gatorade run for him.

Mom and the kids baked Snickerdoodles and Chocolate Chip cookies and I made another [good!] batch of caramels. Then we just hung out and watched the old classic Rankin/Bass Christmas movies by the fire....Such the perfect family evening!

So...Christmas Eve! I think I slept in really late because I was up super late wrapping gifts! In the evening we kind of divided. Jeremy and Caeden went with Mom & Dad to Grandma Crabill's for dinner at 6:00, and the girls and I went with Travis & Erin to church. Trav sang Here With Us by Joy Williams. It's such a beautiful song, and he did a great job. The girls were able to take communion, which they've only done 1 or 2 other times. So precious and breathtaking to see them understanding why we do it.
After the service Trav, Erin, the girls, and I joined the rest of the crew at Grandma Crabill's for dinner. We got to visit with some who weren't able to be there for Thanksgiving, and so wonderful to wish everyone a blessed Christmas.

When we got back to Mom & Dad's it was time for some more Christmas Eve traditions. The kids sprinkled the magic reindeer food.

Gram made hot chocolate, and Daddy read Polar Express. Cookies were set out for Santa, and I promised to put out the milk before going to bed myself. We said goodbyes to Travis & Erin, and prayers for a day of celebrating Jesus were sent up before the sugar plum visions began dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment