This kid. I love him to bits, and at the same time he drives me crazy with his constant whining and complaining, arguing, selfishness, and self-pity.
He didn't realize his Dad was going to have to go back to work after lunch today, and that he was going to have to go back to church with me and the girls while I worked during their youth group time. He didn't bring anything to entertain himself, and would not stop whining about having nothing to do. He did the same thing last Sunday, and I made him make a list of 10 things he has to be thankful for. It was a good list, but it sure didn't stop the whining and complaining for one second.
Today, he put in a Tom and Jerry DVD while I worked in Pastor's office, but it stopped working after a while. More whining ensued. I had him go out to the car to get the 6 missionary books that were there, and he whined about them being boring--at the same time as he talked excitedly about what was going on in them.
His attitude stinks, and I'm not sure how we're fostering this. We talk with him about it all the time, and he realizes it when it's brought to his attention. Yet, he argues with every thing we ask of him, and talks back constantly. He is strong willed, selfish, and stubborn like his momma.
I told him this week there will be absolutely no screens. No Kindle. No iPad (which has already been taken away for the entire quarter of school). No TV. No computer. No Wii. No movies.
None at all.
I want him to know that life is not about being constantly entertained. That leads to constant distraction. I want to help him develop a servant's heart. I pray it is not too late, and that he will change his ways. Lord, help us!!
It's no coincidence that our devotional as the kids were going out the door this morning was about self-pity.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne."
- Hebrews 12:1-2
"Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship,
for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation.
They exult in your righteousness."
Psalm 89:15-16
No comments:
Post a Comment