Thursday, September 27, 2012

Constant Reminder

In April 2011, I lost one of the two medium diamonds out of my wedding band.  I had been lax in taking my ring to be inspected every 6 months, so I knew replacing the stone wouldn't be covered.  I didn't want to use our personal articles insurance to pay for my own stupidity and have a claim to raise our rates, and I didn't want to find out how much it would cost out-of-pocket to replace the stone.  So, I haven't worn my wedding ring for about a year and a half.

I don't know why it suddenly became urgent, but last weekend I decided I wanted to find out about getting it fixed.  We went to the jeweler and were encouraged to trade in the band and have the stones put in a new setting.  We asked about cost, but were told we could get an estimate after we chose a new setting.  So, I spent about 45 minutes (while the kids stood patiently waiting, watching Jungle Book on a mall kiosk) trying on various pretty rings.  After I narrowed it down to 3, the saleslady finally said she would give us a quote on what my band would trade in for towards a new setting.  It was something like $150 towards a $1400 ring.  We wanted to laugh in her face, but were honestly a bit annoyed that she wasted our time when we told her we wouldn't be spending money on a new ring.

Anyway, we decided just to replace the missing diamond in my original wedding band, and it came in today.  I'm glad to have it back as a constant reminder of my marriage to such a wonderful man.

 “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” 
 - Ruth 1:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment