Monday, September 10, 2012

Auditions


Annah and Sylvia have been part of the summer ISU String Project Camp in the past, and Jeremy and I decided we'd really like for them to try being involved in the regular String Project this semester.  There are 4 different groups--a beginning class, a second-year, a mixed intermediate, and a mixed intermediate by audition class.  Some of the groups meet more than once per week, and the only ones that would really work for our schedule right now are the mixed intermediate groups, because they meet on Mondays.

Since Annah has been taking private lessons for 6 years now, we definitely wanted her to audition for the top group.  She wasn't sure she wanted to at first, but once we convinced her that it would just be like going to band rehearsal once a week, she liked the idea better.  (The girls' school has no orchestra or any way for them to be involved with their string instruments.  So we need to seek out other ways for them to grow musically with them.)  

Sylvia told me outright that she didn't want to have to audition in front of anyone, and she hasn't learned scales and shifting and things she would need to know to audition for the top group.  Yet, when I contacted the program's director about which group she thought Sylvia should be placed in, she told me Sylvia would need to play for the lead teacher...basically an audition.  We were very careful not to use "the a-word" and call it an audition, but I emailed with her teacher about preparing her to play a piece and some scales.

When I picked the kids up at school this afternoon, Annah said she was excited about her audition, and Sylvia said she'd had butterflies in her tummy all day long!  (I was nervous for them both, but I'm pretty sure they didn't realize the pressure of auditioning for prestigious doctoral faculty members at a large university!  And I did my best not to mention it!)

When we arrived at the audition, it turned out the girls auditioned for the Director of String Project and the teacher who had conducted one of the ensembles Sylvia was in during camp, so at least Sylvia was glad about that...faces she knew.  

Annah went first. The other 3 of us stood outside, but Caeden was reading homework aloud, so I didn't think to listen to Annah playing until I heard her sight-reading--which sounded good!  When she came out, she said they asked her to play the F-major scale, which is the highest and hardest major scale on violin.  She said she actually played it the best she's ever done it (since she's only been doing it for 3 weeks) and even played it fairly quickly.  She felt pretty good about her audition.

Sylvia went right in next, and Annah said she thought it sounded like Sylvia was playing "really fast."  I thought she sounded good, though she said she was "still really nervous" even after the audition was over.  It took a while for that stress to fade, I think!

As Sylvia was packing up her violin, Mr. Lane came out of the office and told the girls, "Congratulations!  You both made the ensembles you auditioned for!  Great job!"  

It was a good thing I'd packed supper for all of us, because that meant they had rehearsal an hour later!    We are really proud of both the girls, for practicing and preparing for their auditions, for doing so well in their auditions, and for accepting the opportunity to be part of this great program.


While the girls were in rehearsal, Caeden and I went to Fusion Brew.  He had a strawberry slush and I had a pumpkin bubble tea with boba, mmm!

We played Crazy 8's and Go Fish!

When we went to get the girls, they both said rehearsal was awesome!  They are excited about the cool music they're getting to play, and are ready to do some practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment