Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fall/Holiday Concert

Annah played her clarinet in the 5th grade band tonight during their first performance!  She looked so beautiful in the gown Gram made for her!  Before the concert, she told me she was nervous because she would be sitting on the end of the row near the audience.  But after the concert, she said she couldn't see the audience because she just looked at Mr. M. while he was conducting them, and she wasn't nervous; she just had fun.


The kids have only been in band for 2 months, and a lot of their class time has been about caring for their instruments and very basic beginning techniques.  They played 5 songs tonight, including Jingle Bells.


It is really fun to see these kids, who have been growing up together for 5+ years now, start to do activities like band and sports together!


Our new elementary school principle took this video of the 5th grade band playing Jingle Bells.  (Annah is on the right.)  They are off to a good start.


As usual, I accompanied all the choirs for the concert.  This is the 6th grade choir, showing Mr. M. their "telephones"--checking their posture.


I was a little nervous, but mostly excited, to use the ForScore app in the iPad for the concert.  (My little page-turner was busy playing in the band, and I didn't want to worry her with something else to think about.)  The app is really amazing.  I scanned my sheet music into .pdf files, and all I have to do is tap the screen and it turns the page.  I am just beginning to learn about all the cool things this app can do, let alone the iPad!  I had only practiced with the app during 2 rehearsals, so I was a bit nervous.  I knew if I didn't use it, I would chicken out every time.  It really went pretty well, and I am looking forward to learning more.

All the ensembles were a big hit with the audience, and it was such a fun to be a part.

No comments:

Post a Comment