Saturday, March 6, 2010

Volunteering

Since we did the project to raise money for Haiti, God has had me thinking about other ways I can use my time and talents in a generous way. 

Recently, our community had to vote on a tax levy which could have eliminated the arts and sports and extra curricular activities from our school if it hadn't passed.

The thought of music, especially, being eliminated from our community's school (yes, the school my children attend) broke my heart!  I realized that I needed to be giving of my time, talent, and knowledge of music for our community's benefit.  So, I contacted the high school music directors and offered my help in their classrooms and to prepare students for the state solo/ensemble contest.

Our school has two new music teachers this year, and they are doing great things already, getting the students excited about really learning music!  But they work SO much.  I want them to stay around and continue what they've started, so if I can be of any help, I'm glad to!

So, I've been at the school a lot lately, and I am loving it!  I am helping run sectionals with the junior high and high school choirs every Tuesday.  And I've had several high school students come out to the house for voice lessons to work on their solos, duets, and a quartet for solo/ensemble. 

Today, I spent the day at solo/ensemble contest accompanying 5 songs.  I have been a judge for contest the past several years, so this was a different side of things for me.  But I enjoyed it!  It was very satisfying to see the kids work put into competition.  Last year, the state started requiring all vocalists to sing scales and triads, something that has scared many singers from attempting contest at all.  These kids took it in stride and most whizzed right through the scales and triads that were asked of them!  Something to be proud of!  Most of all, I was so proud of them for the way they handled all the feedback they received.  Only a couple of them received a I rating, as the judges were giving I's very sparingly.  None of our kids acted upset or even discouraged with receiving a II, and were really glad to have constructive suggestions for making their music and performances better.  That was awesome to see!!  It was really a privilege to be part of preparing these students, and I am glad for the opportunity to continue working with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment