Thursday, October 29, 2009

A new adventure -- Asthma



We have been on a new adventure this week.  For a while, we have thought Sylvia probably has asthma.  We have talked with her pediatrician about it a couple times over the past year or so, and he had given us a couple sample inhalers for her.  She hadn't used one at all until we went to Orlando last month.  There, she used it 2 or 3 times per day, and woke me up at 1am one night because she was coughing so hard I thought she'd choke.  The inhaler seemed to help, although she has trouble using it.

This past Friday night/Saturday morning she woke me up crying at 3:30am, saying she couldn't get to sleep because she couldn't stop coughing.  We tried the inhaler, but she was still coughing and when I listened closely, I could tell she was wheezing.

So, I took her to the doctor Saturday morning.  The doctor did 2 nebulizer treatments, and she was still coughing and wheezing some.  So, she prescribed an inhaler with a spacer (to make it easier for Sylvia to breathe the medicine in) and told to use it every 4 hours for 24 hours, and also Orapred (oral steroids) for 5 days. 

I had her stay home from her best friend's birthday party (I know...mean mommy!) and she rested all afternoon.  She seemed to feel better, so we went to the Fall Festival.  Sunday, we continued with the inhaler and rest. 

Monday morning, she still seemed to be coughing and had a wheeze and just looked exhausted, so we went back to the doctor.  Doctor then did more neb treatments and then said her left lung sounded more congested than the right (They had sounded equal on Saturday, she said.), so she sent us for a chest xray to rule out pneumonia!  It was clear.  Since it was still tough for Sylvia to do the inhaler even with the spacer, she prescribed a nebulizer machine for us to have at home...every 4 hours...and wanted to see Sylvia back on Wednesday.

(Monday evening Annah started feeling like she had a sore throat, and a low-grade fever.  I gave her Tylenol and checked on her every 4 hours when I was up with Sylvia doing her treatments.  She was fine through the night.  About 6:30 she woke up dripping with sweat, and scared to death of the dry, barking cough she suddenly had.  I gave her warm water to drink and that calmed the cough down right away.  Her temp was at least 103 though, so I gave her more Tylenol.  I took her to the doctor (Tuesday), mostly because of all the flu that is going around, and knowing that Sylvia is more susceptible with asthma.  They share a room.  They did a flu swab, and it came back negative.  So, they didn't treat her.)

Wednesday, we went BACK to the doctor (Yes, the FOURTH trip in 5 days--a 40 minute drive from our house.) for Sylvia's asthma check.  Even with liquid oral steroids and neb treatments every 4 hours, she was still coughing and had wheezing!  Doctor said this has taken too long to get over!  She extended her Orapred 3 more days and added an antibiotic just in case...and said to continue neb treatments every 4 hours.  (Maybe she isn't getting over it because she's so tired from being awakened every 4 hours!?) 

Whew!  SO, we are learning about asthma.  Today is going better.  After Sylvia was ready for school I listened to her lungs and finally did not hear a wheeze!  She is much perkier, has better color, and now has a crazy big appetite from all the steroids.  We have another appointment tomorrow, just in case, but doctor said if she isn't coughing and wheezing we don't have to come.  She will just do treatments 'as needed' from now on.

Annah has no fever today, although she had to stay home from school since she still had one last night.  She has finished all her make-up homework and cleaned her room today.  She's feeling very good.  Whhhhhhhhhhhhew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment