Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hearts at Home

Friday I was able to attend and volunteer at the annual Hearts At Home National Conference. I have been 2 or 3 times, but hadn't gone in a few years, and was so glad I did! Jeremy took the day off work to stay home with the kids too!

I was so excited, I was wide awake at 4:20 a.m.--a time I usually consider to be the middle of the night. I tried to go back to sleep, but got up about 20 minutes later to get ready. I had to be there by 7:00 a.m. to find out what I was doing for my volunteer job. It turned out my job was to stand outside on a bridge (Thank you Lord; it was a gorgeous day!!) between the morning workshops and help people find whichever buildings on campus their workshop sessions were taking place. Jeremy thought it was humorous that I was looking at a map and giving directions, but I'm pretty sure I didn't steer anyone wrong. :) It was neat to get to be a tiny part of helping the day go more smoothly. I would love to get more involved in volunteering with Hearts-at-Home, but really need to pray about taking on something else right now! Anyway...

Since I was there early, I took advantage of checking out everything in the convention shopping area! Everything there was tempting to buy, but I did come away with some great thigngs. I picked up copies of these books: My Heart's At Home by Jill Savage, I'm Glad I'm A Mom by 50 wonderful moms, The Complete Guid to Getting and Staying Organized by Karen Ehman (She was sitting there when I bought it, looking so exhausted, but she was kind enough to sign my copy.), and at the MOPS table I was given a copy of Lorilee Craker's book, Just Give Me A Little Piece of Quiet.
A wonderful pencil sketch artist, Alice Craig, was there selling her beautiful work. As soon as I saw this amazing print, I bought a small copy for each of the kids and had her personalize them. What a dear, sweet woman she is; I had a chance to visit with her while she worked on the kids sketches and she seems such a gentle soul.

The morning session was wonderful. Cheri Keaggy was there again, and she is just so sweet and beautiful. I got to speak with her at night for just a second and thank her for sending me sheet music to her song a few years ago so I could do it for Caeden's dedication. She was so kind and asked about how he is doing now. She has gorgeous hair too; made me wish for my long hair back. Ha!
It was the 15 year anniversary of H.A.H., and so the morning speakers spoke on the power of 15. Elise Arndt spoke about the power of 15 hours...at the side of a sick child, perhaps...the difference your presence can make to someone over 15 hours. Karen Ehman spoke about the difference 15 minutes, days, months can make. And Jill Savage, the founder of HAH spoke about the difference 15 years can make...putting things into perspective... She made a very powerful point, saying to pause and consider each situation before you react and think about whether or not it will really matter in 15 years or not, and if it won't then just let it go!

The first workshop I attended was called How to Survive Motherhood Without Losing Your Cool, with Trish Berg. She was hilarious, and such a real person. The second one I went to was about having a contented heart, with Micca Campbell. She was phenomenal. She was super funny, but also so tender and inspiring. She shared about how her husband died when she was 21 and they had a 2-year-old, and the tears were just streaming down every woman's face. The scriptures she shared she has held onto, I think I am going to create a scripture card book from these and some others that were referenced at the conference. Micca also shared this story. Take the time to read. Do. My heart was definitely blessed being there.
The next workshop I attended was called Do Your Kids A Favor: Love Your Spouse, and it was by John & Kendra Smiley...after their new book being released next month. Oh my word, they were fantastic speakers together. Kendra is hysterical, and together they were even more funny. But they made some excellent points. Going to have to get that book too!
The last workshop I went to was with Susie Larson from Focus on the Family. She spoke about Living the Promised Life and seeing with eyes of faith. Man, she is a dynamic speaker; so poignant and inspiring! I will have to go over and over my notes from her talk to take it all in well!
As if all that weren't enough, in the afternoon main session, Julie Ann Barnhill spoke. She is one spunky lady! And Ken Davis was there!! I have not laughed so hard in my life...for real!!! I was almost hyper-ventilating I was laughing so hard! I bought one of his DVD's for Jeremy, and we watched it last night...ha!!
Also, during both sessions, there were other mothers (who are not so well-known) who shared their unique, amazing stories of motherhood, marriage, family legacy, and faith. And, in the afternoon, I met up with my friend Lisa and we had a great evening together at dinner and the Mom's Night Out concert!
My heart was just so uplifted from the day, and I feel so affirmed and re-committed in my job as a mother now. I need to make sure I go to the conference every year. All through the day, I kept thinking about my mommy friends who would benefit so much from this conference. I am going to have to invite some of my Indiana and Ohio friends to come out next year and go with me! I'm so thankful I was able to attend, and I'm so thankful I have a husband who supports me in what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment