Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Resting

Thank you so much to those of you who have been praying for us, thinking of us, sending cards, and helping us out over the past week and a half! Things are going better for now, thank goodness!

Friday through Sunday I was in a LOT of pain, especially for a few hours early Sunday morning. My pain meds didn't even phase the pain, and all I could do was cry and writhe around in pain, with Jeremy holding my hand until I could calm down a bit and try to be still and breathe. The surprising thing was that late Sunday evening I did pass a stone. It was about the size of a pea, and I have been feeling a lot better since.

On Monday, Jeremy took me to see the urologist, who was shocked that I passed a kidney stone that large. Since the ultrasound I had in the hospital indicated that my stone was the size of a quarter, we're not sure where the one I passed came from. He said that there could have been two stones right next to each other that looked like one on the ultrasound. Or, the one I passed could have been a piece that broke off of the larger one. Or, the ultrasound could have been inaccurate, and what I passed was the entire thing. I'm betting that the last option is not the case, as I have had more pain since passing the stone. So...I will be having another ultrasound on my kidneys next Thursday to see what the deal really is. He did say that I shouldn't have to wait too long after the baby is born to have the lithotripsy procedure done to break up the stone. That was encouraging.

Yesterday, I saw my OB doctor. My chart didn't have any indications of my being hospitalized or having a kidney stone, so I had to tell her about it. She said she knew the story, but didn't know that it was me. Kind of odd, I thought. But, she did say that I won't have to have a c-section because of the kidney stone, which as a relief to me. (Even though I had planned to try going without an epidural originally, there is no way I want to attempt that while having a kidney stone!) She said she may want to induce me and take the baby a little early, so we'll see how things progress. She said baby's heartbeat is nice and strong, and that it was good to see the baby moving around a lot even just while I was there for a few minutes.

While I was in the hospital, the baby was being monitored almost the whole time, although, it moves so much that a lot of the time it was hard to get a consistent reading. Sometimes I would have to press the monitor into my belly for an hour to make sure it was reading right. It was nice to know that the baby was moving so much though. Most of the time over those 2 days that baby's heartrate was in the 120's and 130's. Granted, I was on painkillers, so I don't know if that affects baby's heartrate or not.

As far as how we are doing now, things are better. I am still very tired, and do have pain at times. I am thankful that, at least right now, I am not completely bedridden. Last week, I was. Today I am feeling the best I have in a week and a half. I have twinges of pain in my kidney several times a day, and still have to rest a lot. But, for the past 2 days, I have been able to move around. I am a little afraid to hope that I will feel this good for the next 8 1/2 weeks until the baby is born, because sometimes the pain will just come on suddenly and overtake me. But, maybe the stone will just stay put and not move until the baby is born. That's what we're praying for!

No comments:

Post a Comment