Wednesday, December 8, 2021

First concert band concert in 2 years

Although the HS choir had a concert earlier this semester, tonight was the HS winter concert, and it was the first time the concert band had had a concert in a full 2 years. Surreal. The freshman and sophomores had never played a concert before tonight. So odd. It was more fun with the appreciation of getting to perform.

During rehearsal this afternoon, I caught a little bit of Caeden practicing his part in Sleighride. When Mr. Marchese first handed out the music this fall, Caeden asked if he could play the whipcrack (because that's what every percussionist wants to play in Sleighride) and Mr. M told him, only if he "pranced about and jumped" while playing it. Caeden followed directions very well this time:


 There were only 9 singing in the HS choir this evening, but I thought they really did a great job! I don't have any photos or video though, since I was accompanying, but Caeden sang wonderfully. We are truly blessed to have Mrs. Aupperle at Ridgeview; she is fantastic!!!

Caeden played a lot of timpani, some snare, and various other percussion instruments. 


Because half of the percussion section was under quarantine, Mrs. A and I got drafted during this afternoon's dress rehearsal to join the band! She played the things that sound like horses clopping and I played Caeden's bells part so he could play the crash cymbals. Mrs. A and I both said we had never played a percussion part before, so my goal was to play 3 notes. I didn't play them all, but I did play more than three! You can see Caeden "prancing about and jumping" while playing the whipcrack in this photo!


So grateful the opportunities to make music are returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment