Thursday, February 13, 2020

Visiting Annah at Greenville

It was wonderful to have some time at Greenville U with Annah this afternoon and evening.  I was able to observe GU Choir rehearsal.  Many students were sick and either not even present for rehearsal or sitting out and not singing...flu season!  But they sounded beautiful with those that were there!  Dr. Wilson did dismiss them extremely early because there were so many gone, and he was also not feeling well.

I love this piece, and I also love the featured violinist!

Chamber Singers rehearse right after choir, and Doc asked them to sing one piece since I was there, and he then dismissed them from rehearsal as well.  They're going on choir tour soon, and he really wants and needs everyone well for that intense week of travel and singing!

Just beautiful!

After rehearsals ended early, Annah and I went to the library so she could print some music for her audition accompanist tomorrow at SIUe.  Then we went to the Dining Commons and had dinner--fettuccine alfredo, her favorite!

After dinner, we went back to Annah's room.  Tori was in class, so Annah and I just talked and talked for a few hours.  Then she finished a paper on Aristotle and packed her things for the next 2 days.  

It makes me sad how torn up Annah feels here at Greenville. She loves the place and the people God has put in her life there through choir and classes and her dorm. But, she feels so unimportant because the university cut her degree program and the professors she needs to help her get her degree.   Dr. Wilson is doing all he can to give her opportunities through choir since her goal is to be a choir director one day.  She really wants to remain under his instruction and continue to learn from him, but she is already not getting the other music education that she needs since those professors have been let go.  Her emotions are rough, and finishing the semester will not be easy.  But, we feel she is learning other important life lessons through the trials right now.  It is difficult, but she is really looking forward to choir tour!

We stayed for Vespers, the student-led chapel service, at 9:30 tonight, and it was so wonderful.  The Pursuit worship team was great, and the 2 students who spoke about gender as related to our worth in Christ did an amazing job tackling a difficult topic through scripture.  It was beautiful and uplifting!

We got on the road after Vespers and arrived at our hotel in Edwardsville about 11:30.  
It was a blessed day.  I'm so thankful for this time with Annah.

No comments:

Post a Comment