Saturday, March 3, 2018

Solo/Ensemble Contest

One of my favorite days of each year is Solo/Ensemble Contest day!

This year, both Annah and Sylvia participated!

VIDEO: Sylvia played her horn in a brass quartet. 

Mr. Marchese jumped in to play first trumpet, since the student who had been practicing it was academically ineligible to compete.  I believe there was also supposed to be another tuba player who just didn't show up. I thought the ensemble did a great job!  They received a I rating!

VIDEO: Annah played in a clarinet ensemble.


Mr. Marchese also had to jump in and play clarinet in this ensemble, as one student decided yesterday that she just didn't want to play.  It is very, very difficult to teach students dedication, hard work, and accountability these days.
I think this group did a wonderful job, and they deserved the I rating they received!  The judge said, "That was such a cool piece!" after they finished playing.


VIDEO:
Annah played a Haydn piece on her violin.  Her accompanist (me) had some trouble, but Annah played beautifully!  She received a I rating.

I found this great photo on my phone after asking some others to record my kids' performances that I was accompanying.  Best shot of the day, I think.
Adam and Ryan sang the difficult duet Agony by Stephen Sondheim and did a very nice job.

I don't have any photos of Sylvia's cello solo today, as we were very rushed to get into the room and I forgot to hand my phone off to ask someone else.  She played the same Klengel piece she played last weekend at the variety show, and she did a fabulous job.  The judge talked with her alone after I ran out of the room to accompany my next student, and told her she played beautifully.  She couldn't believe that Sylvia doesn't play in a school orchestra or that she is only a freshman.  Sylvia received a I rating, and was only half a point from a perfect score!

VIDEO:
Annah sang the Italian art song, Quella fiamma. Although I could tell she was nervous in the middle of the song, the judge was very impressed with her performance.  I heard her say, "WOW!" when Annah finished singing.  She told Annah her Italian was very good, and asked if she had taken Italian in school.  Annah told her, "No, my mom taught me."  I took that as a great compliment.  Annah received a perfect score on her solo today.

I also accompanied Kyle on his vocal solo, Black Is The Color of My True Love's Hair.  He did a very good job, and the judge told him what a beautiful gift he had and encouraged him to keep singing and taking voice lessons because they are working.  

I am incredibly proud of all these kids who performed today--including the ones who had already left by the time I thought to take a picture.  In a high school of only 149 students, they are involved in SO MANY THINGS, yet they made this a priority in order to become better at what they love.  It is an honor to make music with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment