Thursday, October 26, 2017

More play prep

I think I am somewhat of an obsessive person.  I've come to realize this when I take on some kind of project or new thing.  Directing a play seems to be the same.  I pretty much spend every waking moment thinking about it and things I need to do for it.  I haven't been sleeping well for weeks now, and I'll wake up several times each night--every time thinking of something having to do with the play or something that needs done for the play.

Our script is only divided into 2 acts, so several weeks ago I went through and divided it into scenes--12 in the first act, and 3 in the second act.  Then I made a chart showing what pages of the script were for each scene, where each scene takes place, and what characters are in each scene. 
I also made maps of the stage for each scene for the stage crew. For the most part, we're using half of the stage for each scene on stage in the first act.  I included/labeled each piece of scenery and prop that needs set for each scene, as well as the pieces that need removed for each scene.  
I hung all of these up on the wall backstage.  Hopefully they will be helpful to everyone helping with scene changes--especially as they're learning what to move when!


Our friend Shannon has been so kind to offer multiple times to help get things ready for the play. One of our scenes takes place in "The Fabulous Kabuki Room of the Holiday Inn in lovely downtown Peoria," and I've been having trouble coming up with ways to dress the stage. I had seen this divider screen and thought it would work well, though it was too expensive and not big enough.

Shannon built us a divider screen out of wood that was much bigger. This week,  I spent a couple hours on stage during the school day painting it.



I had so much fun painting a Japanese cherry tree!

I'm happy with how it turned out and think it will look nice in our Kabuki room scene.

Rehearsal scenes...


During Act 2, there is a moment when all the murder suspects are gathered together at the police station and the detectives grow frustrated with the case. They decide to open it up to the audience to ask them questions, so the actors need to be prepared to improvise their answers!  We have spent part of a couple rehearsals coming up with questions we think people may ask, and we rehearse these now so they can have some answers planned.  But, we hope folks will be into the show and ask questions of their own too!


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment