Saturday, January 26, 2013

Acts Quiz #2

Whew, the book of Acts is good stuff!  Whew, the book of Acts is tough stuff for kids to get through and understand and remember!  Whew, we are learning a LOT about the start of the Christian church!

Admittedly, we did not use our time wisely over Christmas break as far as studying for Quizzing, but we have really struggled getting through Dig Sites 8-14 since the 1st Quiz over Acts in November.  Paul traveled to so many places and met so many folks who helped spread the gospel.  It is really cool stuff to learn about, but it can be quite confusing.  

We've tried to work through each section carefully over the past several weeks, and a Dig Site a day starting last week.  Still, we didn't feel prepared after this week. So we spent pretty much every waking moment from the time the kids got home from school last night until they went to bed studying hard.  Then we studied in the car all the way to Peoria this morning, and for about half an hour after we arrived.  The kids worked very hard to understand the difficult passages and questions, and we had some great discussions about what was happening in the book of Acts.
But honestly, they weren't super confident going into the quiz this time.  

Then the Quiz started and there were some very difficult questions right off the bat.  I was keeping score for another team and could see lots of kids struggling.  (Since I study with my kids, I usually know the scriptures and questions really well too, and I was thrown off by some of the questions given today.)  After the first two rounds, the kids were feeling pretty deflated about missing some questions and having troubles.  I reassured them that they were asking some really tough ones, and that they were doing just fine.  Caeden was starting to tear up, when I reminded him that his daddy said there were to be no tears if answers were missed.  He told me, "I don't know if I can handle another round!" but went back to his seat and did his best.  I noticed another boy who is always among the very top quizzers having a similar discussion/reaction with his dad and knew it wasn't just my kids having trouble.

The third round was just as difficult, and I think everyone was glad when it was finished.  There were questions about cities that Paul visited when what we studied were the names of the countries, and other questions that were vice versa.  (Guess I should have bought the map!)  There was even one question that seemed like it was from the book of Matthew, which we quizzed on last year.  It was was a super tough quiz!

After the questions were done and I finished totaling my row's scores, I joined the kids and Jeremy.  We talked about how they needed to keep their composure and be grateful even if they received a 3rd place ribbon, because they worked really hard to get through those 60 questions.

When the awards ceremony began, we were very surprised that there was only one quizzer in the Red level who had a single perfect round.  Then, in the Blue level awards, the group of 3rd place awards was big.  2nd place was big.  There were no ties in the top 10, like usual.

And, we were pleasantly surprised when 6 of the top 10 quizzers were from our PoC team--including Annah, Sylvia, and Caeden!  The girls were the only ones who had a single perfect round each, and Annah was the top quizzer for the day!

We were certainly proud of all the kids and their hard work.  It is a privilege to learn God's word, and always such a blessing.  We praise and thank Him for helping us!

Immediately after the awards the church had to empty out, as there was a funeral beginning minutes later!  We headed over to Chick-Fil-A for lunch with the Benjeys.  It was right at noon and at a mall on a Saturday--so crowded the kids sat at one table and the 4 of us adults squeezed into another all the way across the restaurant.  It was yummy though!  

"Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right." - Acts 10:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment