Thursday, January 21, 2010

Parable of the Talents Offering Update

Well, Caeden had no movie night tonight.  He was not allowed to pass the invitations out to his class due to "separation of church and state."  I wondered if that might happen, but should have explained the possibility to Caeden.  He was devastated, burst into heartfelt tears and cried, "Mommy, now I can't help the people in Haiti!"  I didn't even want to attempt to explain "separation of church and state" to him...

Then tonight as we tucked him in he cried again and said, "I just feel so sorry for them!  I need a new idea for helping them!"  We talked a long time about how his prayers were important and would be a big help.  He is going to call grandparents and ask them if they will match the $10 from the envelope he opened.  Daddy said he will match whatever Caeden ends up with.  He didn't seem much comforted by having a plan though, and just kept crying and feeling so badly for the suffering the people of Haiti are going through.  God is growing his heart.

-----------------

Today two of our pastors were interviewed on the local AM talk-radio station, WJBC, and a few of our band members sang the original song they wrote for this special offering.  Below is a link to the podcast.  (I am making a name doily for the host of the show, as my friend Sally [who used to work with her] posted a link to my Crocheting for Haiti photo album on her Facebook page.)  In the interview, Pastor Scott talks about some of the neat things people are doing to increase the money they were loaned.  Have a listen!


"The Rev. Scott Sherwood from the First Church of the Nazarene in Bloomington talks about a unique attempt to raise money and awareness for earthquake relief in Haiti. His congregation split up $5,000 and used it as seed money for bigger fundraising efforts. Each person has used their own skill set to produce ideas... from baking, to crocheting and more traditional ideas.

Todd Keller with the church's Upreach Ministries says his fellow musicians were also inspired to sing. The interview includes the Epic Worship Band performing its Haiti inspired song "Ravaged".

For more information, contact the church at 309-662-1915 or on-line at www.1stnaz.com.
"




-----------------

 We are praying that kids will come to the girls' movie showings on Saturday, and give.  I've only heard from one parent so far...

-----------------

I have had several orders for crocheted items already--enough to keep me crocheting for weeks!  As long as people will give me time to complete orders, I will continue to take them through the 30th.



Also, I have a completed 'WELCOME' doily up for bidding.  It is currently at $40.  Let me know if you want to place a bid!  Every cent will go to help Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment