Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Skin Afflictions

We knew the kids were exposed to chicken pox last Monday, but we didn't worry about it, because they've all had both parts of the vaccine. But, when little red bumps appeared on Sylvia's cheeks Sunday morning, we knew we better keep watch. By the time we got home from Indiana Sunday evening, she had itchy red bumps and in patches on her wrists, elbows, knees (front and back), ankles and legs. I figured, if any one of the kids was going to be sensitive enough to get chicken pox after being vaccinated, it would be Sylvie. She just has that sensitive (health) tendency. So, I decided to take her to the doctor Monday morning. Then we got snowed in. So, I took her Tuesday morning.

Aaaaaaaaand...the verdict is...it's not the pox! I wish it was. It's worse. It's scabies! When the doctor said it, I was shocked. I didn't know exactly what it was, but the word didn't have a nice connotation in my mind! It just sounds dirty and icky. Which it's not really; just highly contagious.

Scabies are tiny little mites that bite down into the skin and kind of tunnel underneath. Suuuuuper itchy and even painful. The itching can last for weeks, even after treatment. We have all covered ourselves from head to toe in the prescribed cream to eliminate them, even though none of the rest of us have a sign of them. I'm washing and drying all the bedding and clothing on 'hot,' and trying to clean the house from top to bottom.

We don't know where Sylvia picked it up, but apparently you can get it from touching skin of someone else who has it, or even just from touching their clothing. And, it can take 2-6 weeks after you're exposed before the rash shows up. We think maybe she got it at gymnastics, but we have no proof.

In any case, it is an adventure we would rather not be on, but we're doing all the steps to get rid of it and help her stop itching...

2 comments:

jinxi~ aka angi said...

Poor lil gal. I have super sensative skin.. {just in the past 6 years} and I itch constantly. I feel so bad for her. I wish you all a speedy recovery.. it cant be easy for you to watch either. {or clean for} ugh.

Margee' said...

I hope she gets over it soon! Poor little gal.

Post a Comment