Thursday, May 28, 2020

Meatball Subs

A couple weeks ago, I was trying to think of new things to cook, since we are eating so many more meals than usual at home and getting tired of the same ol' same ol'.  I asked Jeremy to get hoagie buns, meatballs, and mozzarella, and I looked up a couple recipes for meatball subs.  They were such a hit with the teenagers; I've made them 4 times in the last month!  I've done them in the oven and in the air fryer, and in combination with the microwave.  I wouldn't really call it a recipe, because we use whatever brands are on hand, but here's what's worked for me:

Ingredients:

Hoagie Buns
Frozen (precooked) Italian Meatballs (4 per sub)
Spaghetti Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese (Slices are less messy than shredded!)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Italian Herbs

First, cook the meatballs per directions--4 per sub for the small hoagie buns. (Sometimes I'll cook the meatballs in the oven if I'm not in a hurry, or I'll microwave them per the directions.)

While the meatballs are cooking, mix several tbsp of EVOO with your favorite Italian Herbs and garlic powder.  (I use a traditional Italian Herbs mix and add anise and marjoram and other favorites as I have them.)  Using a pastry brush, brush the herb/EVOO mixture on the outside of each hoagie bun and place on a baking sheet or in air fryer.  If using the oven, bake 3-4 minutes on each side at 375. In the air fryer, give 3 buns at a time 3-4 minutes.

When the buns are getting a little browned and toasted, put 4 meatballs in each.  Spoon a couple tablespoons of sauce over the meatballs, and load up with mozzarella.  Return to oven or air fryer for 4-8 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Use tongs to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment