Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Marching Band Leadership Team Meeting

While she was at drum major academy, Annah planned a meeting with the marching band leadership team for this coming marching season. When we picked her up from DMA, she said it was one of the most amazing things she had gotten to do in her life.  She was so inspired!  She came home and immediately put together a presentation, including slides and a video, and she prepared to share what she had learned with her leadership team.  Today was the meeting.  Every one of the leadership team showed up in the middle of the day during summer break, and stayed for Annah's 2+ hours presentation.

I was working on organizing uniforms, and got to listen from the closet in the band room while she taught these leaders how they were going to change the culture of their band through servant leadership.  She taught them that no matter what the problem or attitude, the most important thing is always PEOPLE.

Last year, marching band was not always a positive experience for the girls.  There were a lot of bad attitudes, and a lot of unfortunate conflict and hurt caused by intimidation, degradation, and power trips.  I think all of this year's leaders are now very excited for band and changing the feeling of the group to one of encouraging and supporting each other and having fun while learning.

VIDEO: salute [present arms]



Mr. Marchese sat in on Annah's presentation and was very excited about what she shared.  He said he would like to send all his drum majors to the George N. Parks Drum Major Academy in the future.

Then, he taught the team a new version of Rock/Paper/Scissors that they'll do at band camp...  

Everyone plays at the same time, and whoever loses a round becomes the biggest fan of the person that beat them in the next round.  Pretty fun and cool way to foster encouragement!


I am always proud of Annah.  Today, I would say, as I listened to and watched her stand up and teach, encourage, and equip her peers to lead, I am overcome and beaming with pride at the person she is growing up to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment