Sunday, February 16, 2014

Snow turkeys

This morning, after I got ready for church, a weather advisory for tomorrow at home popped up on my phone.  The forecast changed and we are to have snow and sleet and dangerous roads tomorrow.  After mulling it over and over for a while, I decided the kids and I needed to head home today to be safe.  

While I was helping Dad explore his new tablet, Mom noticed a group of wild turkeys was walking along the edge of the yard!  I had never seen any so close, but Mom and Dad said they have been around quite a bit over the past few years--sometimes dozens of them!  They are having to walk a lot to find food in all the snow.  It was pretty neat to see them.

The kids were sure to get some time in the snow with Tessa today before we left.  


They were sledding down the pile of snow Travis has built up while clearing his driveway repeatedly this winter!  We assume it will still be there when we come for Spring Break at the end of March!

I made Dad a warm winter hat, and he let take his picture in it.  He says it's very soft and warm.

Mom, Dad, and I watched a little bit of the winter Olympics while the kids played outside.  Finally, we had to get on the road.  I think I managed to get the kids out the door by 3:00-ish.  We had to stop at Walmart because I had only brought the snow boots I was wearing when we left on Friday, and Annah had worn them to play in the snow all weekend!  

The roads were fine all the way home tonight, and we got to drive into a beautiful sunset.  We arrived home around 6:30.  

I wish we could have stayed longer, as we'd planned.  But, I am choosing to be thankful we were able to go at all during this long, wild winter!  We usually try not to travel far in February.  So we are grateful for the Lord's protection while we traveled, and especially thankful for the time with family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment