Saturday, August 20, 2011

Backyard Camp-Out

My parents gave the kids a tent for Christmas last year.  Upon their opening it, Jeremy promised them we would camp out at the state park nearby at least once this summer.  I suppose summer is not officially over, but that promised camp-out hasn't happened yet.  We realized a little too late that you must reserve a camp-site at least 7 days in advance.  So, although we planned to be at the park last night, we did at least get the tent up in our backyard...


To put it mildly, Jeremy was not excited about the tent, the camping out, the sleeping on the ground, the whole thing.  But, he pitched the tent and inflated the air mattress and slept out there with the rest of us.

It was 10:15 by the time we played a game of Skip-Bo and I read some from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and we quieted down to sleep.

The kids had sleeping bags on top of blankets and none complained about the hard ground.  We let Daddy have the mattress.  I did not sleep well with neither mattress nor sleeping bag, and I think my body will be recovering for days.  After Jeremy and I had both gotten up to go inside around 4:30 a.m. to go to the bathroom, he let me have the air mattress and he took the spot on the hard ground....ugh.

We didn't get any fun activities planned for the tent-time, but the kids all said it was pretty fun.  It was a perfectly gorgeous night to be outside.  Anyone know what those ridiculously loud clicking bugs are?

Maybe next time we'll actually get to a real campground, but I was thankful our first attempt was in our own backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment