Thursday, February 5, 2009

Preschool Changes

Homeschooling has been going really well with Caeden lately. He's been learning about the seasons and sun, moon, stars, comets, planets--the things God created on the 4th day of Creation. He made up a little song to go with one of his memory verses, Genesis 1:16--"God made two great lights--the greater light to rule the day, the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars." And on Monday, he was sounding out three-letter words and was so excited! He called Daddy at work to tell him, "Daddy I'm reading!!!!" On Tuesday, we finished up the first books of the curriculum...all set to start the second half.

I've been sort of surprised how much I've grown to love doing school with Caeden. It is a constant struggle getting him to sit still and listen, but it is awesome being there to see the "lightbulb" go on. I love the curriculum; the fact that it's Biblical and is teaching him all about the story of Creation and that he's learning scripture and remembering it. It's been a good experience for both of us.

But! God likes to shock us sometimes with situations that are totally unexpected, doesn't He?

Tuesday morning, I got a call from the pre-K teacher at the elementary school where the girls attend. She said an immediate spot had opened up in her class, and Caeden was next on the waiting list.

Uhhhhhhhh. I was so surprised, I barely knew what to say. I told her we would need to discuss it and decide. She needed to know our answer in 2 days! Time to start prayin'!

We had Caeden screened for this pre-K program last spring, and knew he was on the waiting list. But, I didn't expect a spot to open halfway through the year. We suddenly had a lot to consider--and quickly!

Yesterday, Caeden and I visited the pre-K class for the afternoon. It was great. He jumped right in and felt comfortable with the other kids. He had a chance to interact with all 3 teachers in the room. He spoke out of turn, and disobeyed the teacher's instructions and saw that he can't get away with that. He was excited when they talked about some things we've learned at home, and was obviously lost when they talked about some things we haven't. It was quite apparent that it would be a great environment for him.

SO! We're signing him up. By enrolling him now, he will be grandfathered in for next year's class, which we definitely don't want him to miss out on. Even though, I myself am not emotionally ready for him to start every day preschool next week, I know it will be good for him.

He will even ride the bus to and from school! Before you think I am totally insane putting my 4-year-old on a school bus, let me explain that it is a small bus that carries only preschoolers. There's no way we'd put him on the big bus.

I'm sure Caeden was overwhelmed with his classroom visit yesterday, and so tired, as we were tucking him in last night. Jeremy started to say to him, "Caeden, do you realize, when you go to school next week, Mommy will be home all by herself?" Caeden completely burst into tears and wailed, "But I can't ever go to school! I love her so much! I don't want to leave her all alone! She's the best mommy! I can't leave her!" Oh my gosh, talk about ripping my heart out! I was bawling too, and we hugged and hugged. Much as I would have liked to sit there and just hold him and bawl for a couple hours, I had to turn it around and do the positive talk.

He is really excited about going to school. I'm praying that getting on the bus won't be emotional for either of us. I think that will be the hardest part.

And so we start a new adventure! First, we have to buy him a backpack!

2 comments:

Nurse Niki said...

Reading your blog always brings me to tears. I feel so much of what you feel. I know part of it is bc we have children the same ages, but mostly it is bc you have such a wonderful way of writing your story! Thanks for everything you share, Taryn!

Margee' said...

Taryn! It'll be good for him and you!
He'll do great at school, you've done a great job with him.
I remember when mine all finally went to school, it was sad, but also gave me some time to myself.

Post a Comment