Monday, December 7, 2020

Music Room





 I’ve been making some significant changes to our music room this year, and it’s very exciting (to me, anyway.)

The biggest thing, of course is the  baby grand, which I so love having and playing and looking at. the story of Fischer’s arrival at  my studio blog here: http://musicinyourheart.blogspot.com/2020/07/meet-fischer.html?m=1)

My mom recently gave us the clock that always hung in the living room, and for now it’s hanging behind the piano. Mom reminded me that its loud ticking used to bother me and Travis while we practiced piano, and I am noticing that. I may just have to play everything at 60bpm from now on. Haha. Will see what my students have to say about it. I do like the comforting ticking when I’m not playing piano, and it’s kind of nice to hear it chiming every hour and every half hour.

A few weeks ago, Jeremy and Shannon took our other piano up to school, along with Shannon & Dawn’s piano. Eventually, they will be in practice rooms, but for now Kimball lives in my office. It’s nice to have it there—especially now that I’m teaching remotely and doing a lot of Zooming from there!

Over the summer, when Shannon was working on the entry way, he commented that he needed to build me some shelves for all our music because the little Sauder ones were about to collapse under the weight of all the music! Dawn looked up photos and we found a design we loved. Shannon got to work right away, measuring and building bookcases for the corner. Before Thanksgiving, he came to install them. Dawn brought Reece and he and Jeremy helped Shannon get them in. They are massive! 

This is before priming and painting...

Jeremy picked up some oil based primer so I could start the day after they went in. I only primed the mdf parts so they wouldn’t swell with water based paint. That took a couple days since I can only do 2 of the 14 shelves at a time on sawhorses in the basement. Then came 3 coats of brown semi gloss paint on everything...

The brown paint is the same as on our “Shannon shelves” in the living room. I had a gallon left from almost 8 years ago, and bought some more to match. I finished painting the last of the shelves yesterday, and Jeremy put the last 4 of the long shelves on the left side in up top for me this evening. 

I love how the shelves on the left go all the way to the wall on the right and have some useable hidden space behind the shelves on the right instead of an empty unusable corner behind them.


I’m going to wait a few more days for all those layers of paint to quit being sticky before I put any music on them, but I am just thrilled to have these and excited about how nice they look and sturdy they are!!! What a blessing!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment