Friday, January 14, 2011

Mini Toasted Tunas

I admit, too many times I do not take the time to stop what I am doing and enjoy watching my children play.  It is a shame when I don't.  They are terribly creative and funny little beings.  They do have a beautiful innocence about them.  They allow simple things to give them joy.  And when I am conscious enough to stop what I am doing and pay attention, they bring me great joy through their play.

Today is MLK day, and they are home from school with me all day.  Thank you, Lord, for this!  As they grow, these days become rarer and rarer, and I am aware of that.

They weren't doing anything "special" or "momentous" or "important."  They were just playing with little stuffed animals they received a few years ago from Lydia, a special teenager friend from church, who loves them and has spent a lot of time playing with and caring for them.

They stood in the kitchen in their pajamas, with their crazy adorable bed-heads, and danced their little penguins up and down, singing "mini-toasted tunas."  (I think this was a song they made up about what their penguins liked to eat.)  And it was special, and momentous, and important.

"Whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me..." 
(The words of Jesus in Matthew 18:1a)

No comments:

Post a Comment